Here at PJ Web we offer a variety of hosting, both web and email, covering an array of solutions. Occasionally we may be asked to provide assistance in helping a customer configure their email on iMacs using versions of the operating system that we don't have within the office environment.
This Standard Operating Procedure should help in assisting users who are attempting to configure their email in either of the following scenarios:
1) First things first, ensure that you have all the details you will need in order to set up the account on the iMac.
These will be:
For this example, we shall use the email@example.com email account as a reference. The information for this fake account is as follows:
2) Now that we have the information, we can begin setting up the account on the iMac. To begin setting up the account go to the Mail Application (third icon in the image on the right) which is usually located in the bottom taskbar, or alternatively by selecting "Mail" from within the Applications Folder.
3) Once you have the application open, if there is no current account set up you will be presented with the first step of the process, if not you will need to prompt this by selecting "Add Account" from the Mail >> File menu.
4) The first step of the account setup is to define the following bits of information:
Simply enter this information and press Continue.
5) After entering your basic account information you will be prompted to enter your account type and start defining your incoming mail settings:
Once you have entered your account information, press Continue
6) Now that you have defined your incoming mail server settings, you will be asked to enter your outgoing mail server settings. These are used to send out email.
Once you have entered these details, if all goes well you should be asked whether you would like to use SSL for your outgoing mail. For most instances this isn't required. The only exception may be for Google Mail based email for which there should be guides provided on Google.
7) Congratulations! You should now have the account successfully set up on the iMac. You will be asked to confirm your account details before taking it online. Once you are happy with the details you have entered, press "Create" and you will be taken to the main window where email will be downloaded to the Mail Application.